Moving house is no easy task. It requires a whole lot of work, from the initial decision through all the pavement-pounding to look round, and finally to packing boxes and making the big move.
Whew! It's no surprise that moving home is designated as one of the most stressful things you can do in your life...
Of course, it's a big deal. But we've been making house-warming gifts for some time, and we just love thinking about tired, worn out, overwhelmed people feeling the love from friends and family who've marked their new era in some small way.
If you know someone who's moved house, even if it was a few months ago, there's no time like the present to send a present. (See what we did there?!)
Here are some ideas to get you going:
- Send a little card. Easy peasy to do, and lets them know you're thinking about them. Add a note to say you wish them well, and mark the start of a new phase, whether they've moved down the road or across an ocean!
- Give an hour of your time. It's likely they don't need you to organise them, just add some man power to the situation, so do what they say, without question. Whether it's packing, unpacking, instructing the movers, or looking after the kids, it's all valuable, and they'll thank you for it.
- Personalise a new keyring for their new keys. Getting the keys to the new place is often the moment we realise how out-of-date and falling apart our keys are! Our engraved wooden keyrings smarten things right up.
- Create a memory box of their old home. New beginnings also mean something is coming to an end. As they pack up photos and knickknacks, some of their treasured will be packed up forever. Make sure they do it well! Create a little time capsule -- our wooden memory boxes are perfect for the job.
- Offer to take them out for dinner, or show up with pizza. They're lugging boxes around, arguing over what should go where, and likely are still unconnected to decent wifi. If you're nearby, give them the gift of a meal.
- Help them get cooking. It's not really your home until you've cooked a meal in the kitchen, and sat down (on the floor or at the table) to eat it. Our personalised chopping boards are a great way to see in the new era of their lives where it matters most -- at the kitchen table.
While everything's in boxes, there's nothing nicer than a friend who can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Spread some joy and kindness (and bank the help for your next move).
Have you given or received an awesome new home gift? We'd love to hear!